Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Gaslight Books
      Keymaster

At one point Daisy says, “I was just supposed to be the inspiration for some man’s great idea . . . I had absolutely no interest in being somebody else’s muse.” How does her experience of being used by others contribute to the decisions she makes when she joins The Six?

Why do you think Billy has such a strong need to control the group, both early on when they are simply the Dunn Brothers and later when they become Daisy Jones & The Six?

Why do you think Billy & Daisy clash so strongly? What misunderstandings between them are revealed through the “author’s” investigation?

What do you think of Camila’s decision to stand by Billy, despite the ways he has hurt her through his trouble with addiction and wavering faithfulness? How would you describe their relationship? How does it differ from Billy and Daisy’s relationship?

Did you feel like the ending was satisfying? What did you like and dislike about the ending?

Casey Jo
      Participant

This book touched on a lot of concepts, but Camila’s view on love and relationships stood out to me the most. She was so willing to go into the relationship with the understanding that people, especially those we love the most, will hurt you at some point. The line about some people are worth hurting for… like wow. I think she was able to look at the situation and forgive so easily and not be bitter because she expected hurt to happen, was prepared to push through it, and somehow managed to not take Billy’s actions personally. It really blew my mind!

Katie
        Participant

I loved the contrast between the way the female characters view love. Camila sees love the most realistically, but still with an air of reverence. She sees it as a choice and a privilege. Karen’s view of love is detached and non-committal, but not in a selfish way. She just doesn’t want it and doesn’t promise it. Daisy romanticizes romance but has no idea what real love is like, or if she’s even capable of it. This is evident in who she chooses to marry and why she stays with him for so long. Ultimately, she figures it out when Camila calls her out, but she really goes through a lot before she gets there.

Ashley
        Participant

– not really answering this forums discussion, but going off the other comments – I agree with the totally different views on relationships and love among these characters. I will say, the one thing they all do have in common is that they eventually all learn who they are individually and what they want, (some figuring it out quicker than others) and do not conform to a “one glove fits all” type situation. They all found themselves and realized what they want/need when it comes to love and relationships.

At one point Daisy said “Love is supposed to make you lighter not heavier” – speaking to her perception of what she thought love should feel like. I think this point in her life she realized she was not in the right type of relationship for herself. She recognized her need for love and determined she needed out of the situation she buried herself in.

Ethan B
      Participant

I thought the ending was a great blend of “where are they now” and space for the story to continue into the future in the reader’s mind – it certainly kept me thinking longer than if all the plot points had been tied up in a nice, finalized bow. I really appreciate that the ending was left open with the possibility of Daisy meeting Billy again, especially since they split abruptly with so many things left unsaid.

Justin
      Participant

I think that Billy really felt the need to be in control or to have a say in many issues surrounding the band and his personal life stem from the fact that he was lacking a male authority figure in his life. His dad leaving Billy and Graham at a young age probably made an impact on him. He may have felt the need to always be in charge or rather fill a void for Graham that had been missing for so many years. Graham looked up to Billy and thought he was wonderful in doing so. This control or power of always being there and having a say may have become a sort of obsession for Billy. He felt as if he needed to always have it his way in decisions because he felt like he knew best. He felt that he had to make those decisions because no one in his life was there to make decisions for them at that critical young age.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.